An odd topic on a techie blog, but as a methodical problem solver (a very important trait for a programmer), I was finally able to diagnose and repair a problem that has been bugging me for quite a long while.
I have a Bosch SHX46A05UC dishwasher that I love. It is so quiet that it is difficult to tell the wash cycle is over. Unfortunately the love affair ended when the machine stopped working. It would get stuck in a drain cycle and never leave. A certified Bosch repairman told me that it was the “brain” that had to be replaced and under warranty, it would cost $100. I didn’t believe him so I decided to solve it myself. Turns out there was a lot of water in the base which caused the drain cycle to run continuously. I took it apart (completely) and cleaned it, making sure all connections were secure and tight.
The dishwasher worked for a while after that, but then I began to notice water on the floor after running it more than five or so times. Since it worked for a while (I typically wash dishes by hand) I thought I had fixed the problem. But when the water appeared on the floor, I knew my troubles were not over.
I have the drain hose attached to the garbage disposal but there is no loop above the high water mark and I was getting backwash and “ick” from the garbage disposal that was clogging the drain hose and creating the overflow scenario. I removed the water from the basin, redid the drain hose and again, had success for a while with the water overflow problem.
Eventually, the problem reappeared so I took it apart again and set it up so that I could run the dishwasher out from under the counter. From that vantage I was able to notice where water was dripping into the base.
It really didn’t make sense to me as the water was coming from a solid, one-piece inside cabinet. The problem was I spent too long looking at the same problem and needed a fresh set of eyes and the opportunity to verbalize the problem. I reached out to my beautiful wife who humored me as I explained the problem in some detail. She was able to pinpoint the exact location of the drip (indeed it was from the inside cabinet) and after removing the cabinet
she noticed a pinhole in the inset of the base of the cabinet. Success! Nothing a bit of epoxy can’t cure. And it did.
I’m on my way to loving my dishwasher again!
The (technical) moral of the story: a new set of eyes and the opportunity to explain the problem will often present the solution. The receiver does not need the experience as long as the technician is willing to listen.