This post was originally titled “How to handle non-syncing Exchange accounts for a specific user on an iPhone” but I realized this was due to a corrupted mailbox.
The symptom was that my wife’s iPhone would no longer synchronize email on her iPhone – even if we removed the account and recreated it. Other iPhones were able to synchronize from the same Exchange Server so that led me to believe it was something specific with her account.
Looking at the error logs in Exchange and the Windows Server provided some useful information. The frst error I saw was in the Windows Application logs:
The sync state named 5 already exists.
I tried dropping all the synchronized devices and re-adding them, but to no avail. Even changing the setting on the Exchange server to disallow the remote connection did not work. I finally realized the problem would be solved by moving the database to another mailbox. It turns out that I moved the database path for the mailbox a few days ago to a disk that had physical issues. And that is exactly when the issue began to appear.
I was able to create a new database in the Database Management tab under Organization Configuration –> Mailbox. I set the path to a directory that was backed up nightly.
The next error I began to see was this:
Error: MapiExceptionNotFound: Unable to synchronize manifest.
As Google would tell me, I tried using the isinteg tool, but to no avail. I ran the following, selected the correct (dismounted) database, and received an error (below). (more…)